FEBRUARY 13TH, 2011, a relatively new City Councilwoman for Villa Park, Deborah Pauly, gave a speech at a demonstration outside a Muslim fundraising event at Yorba Linda, California. (Watch her speech here.) The demonstration was against some of the speakers at the fundraiser, especially the jihadist Siraj Wahhaj, an unindicted co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.
I received an email about this, accompanied by the suggestion that we write to Pauly and give her some encouragement because she is under fire from Muslims and multiculturalists. A group of 200 Muslim protesters demanded that she apologize. And as you might expect, news stories about her speech excerpted out the most extreme-sounding clips from her speech and referred to her in less-than-flattering terms.
It was also suggested in this email that we coach her on talking about Islam.
I think these are great suggestions, so let's do it. Her email address is: email@example.com. She was elected in 2010, and she has already boldly spoken out against Islam's relentless encroachment. She is an important ally in the counterjihad movement. And it would help the cause (and reduce the backlash) if her public statments were more exacting and deliberate so she doesn't unnecessarily give ammunition to the opposition. Read more about her speech and protests against her here.
Let's each email her a short, encouraging message. Here are some things you might include in your email:
1. I watched a video of your speech.
2. I appreciate the courage it took to speak honestly about Islam. I admire your bravery.
3. You have our support. Is there anything we can do for you?
4. In my own way, I also try to warn people about Islamic doctrine. I try to get them to read Inquiry Into Islam because most people can read it without rejecting the information. I always try to focus on the doctrine when I talk (Islamic doctrine, rather than Muslim people) because it makes the information harder to criticize.
5. I hope you continue speaking about Islam. We need more courageous people like you in public offices. There are a lot of us who want leaders to speak honestly about Islam.
In other words, tell her you admire what she did, you want to support her, and share with her what you've learned about talking about Islam.
Deborah Pauly's email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org. The proper formal way to address her is: "Councilwoman Pauly."